Thursday, February 18, 2010

Poo free? Not so much

Ok, so I haven't given this much time.  I stopped about a week after I started.  I just don't like the feeling of not using shampoo and I don't want to mess with it right now.  However, I have gone 'natural' in another way.  (and use it on my kids too!)

I was diagnosed with skin cancer.  Just below my right eye I've had a spot that just would not heal up.  Ok, so I've ignored it for the last five years hoping that it would go away.  It didn't.  I finally brought it up to my primary care (it looks like a pimple most of the time but not quite if that makes sense? so it wasn't something she would have just noticed normally.)  I told her how long it had been there and if it was bumped or I scrubbed very hard it would break open and bleed a bit then stay kind of raw for several weeks.  She took one look said "that looks like a basal cell, gonna send you to a dermatologist."  Bleh.  Anyway, went in, had a, whatcha call that? when they take a sample... uhm... BIOPSY! (thanks Google)  It was a basal cell.  Went in two weeks ago and had it cut out.  Moh's surgery http://www.mohscollege.org/about/  was performed and they got it all.  It wasn't horrible but it wasn't fun being that close (less than 1/4" from my lower eyelid and closer than that to the outer corner of my eye)  to my eye was horrible on my nerves.   I've got a L shaped scar about 1 1/4"x1 1/4" from it.  Got the stitches out a week later.

All that to say, I've decided to stop using facial soap and start using oil.  Yes that's right, oil.  I was also diagnosed with Rosacea.  It seems like pretty much any type of face cleaner/moisturizer/toner that I've used causes my skin to get dry and red and hot.  Now I know why.  The dermatologist prescribed a wash, I haven't tried it yet though.  I did a bit of looking online and it seems that some people get good results from 'washing' their face with about 80% castor oil Castor Oil - 16 oz. - Liquid and 20% olive oil Zoe Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 25.5-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2).  You pull back your hair, rub it in good to your skin then clean it off with a wash cloth with just hot water.  I do this before bed and when I wake up my face isn't over oily nor is it dry.  I don't get nearly as red either.  I do need to be more consistent with it but it does seem to help and it makes my face feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment